Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I've got a start!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Igor, GM and Taudo, thanks for the responses to my last post(Newbie Questions).

    Well, thanks to Igor's tip on where to shop I'm now the proud owner of the first components to my A7 project. A nice pair of green 511Bs. I believe I did fairly well on the price to. Thanks Igor!

    The horn castings are in great shape but unfortunately they will need paint. My wife sighed in disappointment that we couldn't keep the original Altec green as well(God I love that woman)!

    Anyway, lessons learned so far for those that may care.

    1) Lacquer thinner will remove most any flat paint someone may have applied to the green horns without touching the factory finish(it won't even remove the white "made in USA" or "511B" stenciling).

    2) Automotive Black Bumper and Trim Paint puts a great finish on the horns. It looks just like a good powder coat and is very similar to Altecs black. Not to shinny, not to flat. It's also flexible, so hopefully it will prove chip proof and help dampen some cow bell effect.

    Next I plan to spray the outsides with polyurethane truckbed liner(Rhino Coat) or similar. Has anyone done this? Did it work well for damping?

    Thanks again gang.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member taudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AMH,

    Congratulations on finding the horns! Soon, you'll probably have several complete systems!

    >Next I plan to spray the outsides with polyurethane truckbed liner(Rhino Coat) or similar. Has anyone done this?
    =====

    Can't say that I have - but a while back I made a similar inquiry about another spray product [can't remember the name now - CRS disease, I guess]. Anyhow, GM made a really good point - many such products can outgas and cause damage to the adhesives/sealants on other speakers in the same box. So, if you plan to mount your new 511's inside a box - take care!

    taudo

  3. #3
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM made a really good point - many such products can outgas and cause damage to the adhesives/sealants on other speakers in the same box
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good point to keep in mind. These 511s will be perched on top of the 828 cabs though. I'm not sure how critical good damping is for these horns, but they really do ring just like cow bells. I was hoping to achieve some damping without going to a separate box for the horn filled with sand, foam or concrete.

    Something else I noticed today. There is a die stamp in a riser lug on the horn. A very small 64. Would that be the manufacture date?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.